What is an Earthing Mat?
The new and larger Earthing Universal Mat offers broad functionality. Use it anywhere in the office or house. The 12.5 x 39 inch mat can be used as a grounding pad on the floor to place your bare feet or on a desk for your wrists and forearms.
This Earthing Kit includes:
- 2 Universal Earthing Mats. 12.5″x 39″
- 2 15 ft. Connection Cords
- Outlet Checker
- 1 Safe – T Cube Adapter
- User’s Guide
- 1 Earthing Book
- 1 DVD
How To Set Up your Universal Earthing Mat
Step 1: Check Your Outlets For Ground
In order to use your Earthing Mat you must connect it to the “ground port” of a grounded 3 prong outlet. Before plugging in your Earthing Mat, you must check that the outlet is grounded by plugging in the outlet checker.
Two amber lights illuminated is GOOD and means that you have a proper ground and you are ready to connect your Earthing Mat. If you have any other light combination it means your outlet is NOT properly grounded. If that is the case, you can use the Grounding Rod in the optional step 2.
Step 2: Using The Ground Rod When Outlets Aren’t Grounded (Optional and Sold Separately)
The Grounding Rod is also useful when camping, or traveling to a location without grounded electrical outlets!
1. First Push the Grounding Rod directly into the earth (20 cm to 25 cm) close to the foundation of the building.
2. Run the cord from the Grounding Rod, under or around a window or door, near where you will be using your Earthing Mat.
3. Make sure to cover the cord to prevent tripping.
4. Bring the cord into your home (via window or door), and plug the prong end of your 15′ Earthing cord into the receptacle end of the Grounding Rod cord. If you live in a dry area, soak the earth around the Ground Rod from time to time for maximum conductivity.
Step 3: Setting Up The Universal mat
1. Decide where you want to use the mat. Your options include most anyplace where you work, sit, relax, rest, or sleep. Hence, the name “universal mat.” Just remember that wherever you set it up you need to have some bare skin contact.
2. Attach snap end of Earthing cord to snap nub on mat.
3. Insert prong end of Earthing cord into ground port (third hole) of nearest grounded electrical outlet on wall, or into Earthing ground rod cord if you use a ground rod connection. The mat is conductive on the snap side only.
4. You must make bare skin contact with the connected mat in order to receive the earth’s energy. The mat is conductive on the snap side only.
Step 4: How To Test For Conductivity With The Continuity Tester (Sold Separately)
The purpose of the Continuity Tester is to verify that your Earthing product is conductive.
1. Insert prong end of splitter into grounded outlet or grounding rod cord.
2. Plug the Earthing cord from mat into one of the two splitter receptacle ends. The other end of that cord is snapped onto your Earthing Mat.
3. Insert prong end of the tester cord into the other splitter receptacle. The other end of that cord is snapped onto the Continuity Tester.
4. Place the Continuity Tester flat on the Earthing Mat. The round metal plate must be in contact with surface of the Earthing Mat. Press firmly on the mat to obtain a good contact. Press and hold the “test” button for a minimum of three seconds. A green light means that the mat is in working order. In unlikely case that no green light comes on, the product may be defective or has lost conductivity and should be replaced.
Sometimes people have difficulty testing their products. If the light doesn’t come on, place one hand on the Earthing Mat while holding the tester in the other hand and with one finger on the silver button on back of tester. A green light would show that the body is grounded when touching the mat. Make sure that both the tester and the product are plugged in to the ground, as described above. The reason for perhaps the light not going on: you aren’t pressing hard enough on the tester. The surface fabric of the mat sometimes prevents the button from contacting the conductive silver fibres of the sheet. The surface seems smooth, but if you were to look at it with a microscope you would see “hills and valleys”. The pliant surface of the skin, unlike the hard metal button, will bend around fibres and make good contact. You can also put some moisture on your finger tips to create a better contact.
5. Disconnect splitter from the ground connection, then disconnect cords from the splitter.
6. Re-insert Earthing cord from sheet into ground connection.
7. You don’t have to test your products often. Perhaps after cleaning. The more you use the tester, the sooner the batteries in the tester will expire.
Step 5: How To Wash and Care For Your Earthing Mat
To clean the mat, simply wipe down the mat using a non corrosive cleaner. Do not use chlorine bleach or liquid fabric softener, or any detergent containing bleach or fabric softener, chemicals that can ruin the conductivity of the mat. Do not apply lotions, creams, or oils to the skin before bedtime on parts of your body that will be in contact with the Earthing mat. Such substances oxidize and can damage conductivity. Air dry the mat.
Always use as directed. The Earthing Connection Outlet Ground Checker is designed for 120V 60Hz use only! Use only Earthing® approved connecting cord with built-in internal safety feature. If your Outlet Ground Checker does not display 2 amber lights, then do not use the product before consulting an electrician.
For your safety, locate any connecting cord in such a way that it doesn’t cause a tripping hazard.